Who are we?
The Curly Hair Project is an organisation that helps people on the autistic spectrum and the people around them, founded by autistic author Alis Rowe. We use cool things like animated films, comic strips and diagrams to make our work interesting and easy to understand!
The Curly Hair Project is not just for girls, we have also helped thousands of Spiky Haired Boys too! Our resources are used by GPs, psychologists, speech and language therapists and teaching professionals.
What do we do?
What makes our work different
- Based on real life, personal experiences
- We teach people how to really apply the theory we teach about autism
- A very ‘inclusive’ approach – supporting all people in developing communication and relationships
- We don’t expect the rest of the world to change to fit in with the autistic person – we want everyone to adapt and work together!
- We aim to help autistic people learn to understand themselves and their needs and ultimately be able to self-manage
- Our work is all about acceptance, understanding and empathy for different world experiences
- We can offer differentiated learning because Alis is on the autistic spectrum herself